Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pleasing Graphics


A USPS postcard of a 1947 stamp depicting the NYC skyline. It is going to an Australian postcrosser who requested a postal-themed card.

This is a favorite, depicting the fleet of vintage streetcars (the F line) that run on Market St and along the Embarcadero. These recycled streetcars from all over the world continue to flourish thanks to a long-ago decision made by then-Mayor Dianne Feinstein to resurrect streetcars while our cablecar rails were being replaced. Even after the cable cars returned, we've continued to run these vintage streetcars, and in fact have increased in number each year. It makes me smile each time I see one of these beautiful cars go by and it is one reason I love living in this city.


A Nancy Drew card to be sent to a mystery-loving postcrosser in Switzerland. For some reason the whole series was available in Japan in the 1950's. Though quite expensive in hardbacks, my mom bought me a couple whenever I needed to be consoled. Example: when I had to get my baby teeth pulled at the dentist's, with no anesthesia.


A hot pink Wonder Woman card for a young Polish postcrosser who loves anything pink. My friend Tanya did a mixed media piece on this Amazonian superheroine. If I remember correctly, the character was modeled after creator William Moulton Marston's wife. She was quite a dominatrix.